Sunday, January 29, 2017

Wrecked

This Type 1 mama has been wrecked. My heart has been completely broken for what breaks His.  Type 1 is an inequitable, unfair disease, a disease if you do not live in the right country and do not have access to insulin and supplies in time will kill you.  Type 1 is relentless, unforgiving and greatly misunderstood. Doing the work of your pancreas is an uphill battle even under the best circumstances. A battle that is never won.  A battle that is easily lost in 3rd world countries.

A few months ago I was given a vision of bringing/getting diabetic supplies to a 3rd world country. That was all a brief moment and I remember thinking yep not sure what to do with that. 

Then a couple weeks ago I saw a post from one of our pastors from our church in Wisconsin. He is in Haiti and is the founder of Upstream International.  Below is his post, a post I could not ignore not even for a second.

I spent time with pastor Dimache this afternoon, the family is afraid. He took his blood sugar while I was there and it was higher than his machine could read, it just simply read "Hi"!!
He more than likely will need insulin to live. Insulin in Haiti can cost $3 per dose sometimes requiring 3 shots a day. This just is not possible on a $2 a day income. Without a miracle Pastor could pass leaving behind a widow and 34 orphans.


This Haitian Pastor and so many others are wasting away from this ruthless disease. Because he lives in Haiti and this disease is greatly misunderstood it can be a death sentence. The advise from Haitian doctors is to eat leftovers, drink juice, stop taking insulin or maybe take a little insulin in the morning. That advise will only take a life faster. Making $2 a day and one dose costing $3, that is injustice. A vial of insulin costs $279 in Haiti that same vial of insulin is available in American for $24.88 WITHOUT a prescription.

That brief moment that I had months ago came roaring back. I knew our family was jumping on board with the others that wanted to help. I purchased syringes, alcohol pads, meters, test strips, lancets and insulin. Of course Gods timing is always perfect and the supplies and insulin made it to Haiti.


This is not the end.  All I know in this very moment is that we will continue to send these supplies to Haiti. Not knowing how this vision will end is not going to stop me from starting. 

Wrecked in the most beautiful way.  Fighting back tears at very inopportune times is new to me. Pastor Joe are Sami are showing me that America really does not get it.  I want to get it.  I have seen a glimpse and it cannot be erased.


From my Utmost for His Highest: There is no escape when our Lord speaks. He always comes using His authority and taking hold of our understanding.  God speaks in the language you know best...not through your ears, but through your circumstances.

Thank you Jesus for using Brett's circumstance for your glory. Amen to that!

No comments: